I LOVE waffles!
I’m a firm believer in making healthy eating enjoyable. You don’t have to give up your favourite foods to eat well and Lord knows I did not sign up for a life of regret and taste bud abuse. With a few clever tweaks, you can carry on eating your favourite meals that will have you smiling all the way to the gym. (Can’t guarantee smiles on the way back from gym depending on sesh)
These high protein vanilla breakfast waffles will have you wondering why I haven’t won a Nobel peace prize. The glorious combination of ingredients while maintaining a light and fluffy texture is truly ground breaking.
Of course, to make this you will need a waffle machine! I use this one! :
This waffle machine is THE BEST! Remove-able plates make it sooo easy cleaning! (As someone who has litteraly abandoned three waffle machines in the past due to too much maintenance effort, I can’t recommend this one enough.
(Makes 8 waffles! That’s 4 breakfasts if you pop them in the freezer as a meal prep!)
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Cup low fat greek yoghurt
- 2 scoops (50g) vanilla whey protein powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 table spoons of honey
- 2 table spoons of sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons of milk of choice ( I used semi-skimmed lactose free milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Fry light spray
- Optional – handful of frozen strawberries for compote
- Mix the yoghurt and the protein powder until smooth
- Whisk the eggs loosely and add them to the protein yoghurt mix, along with the vanilla extract
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder
- Add in the honey, milk and sunflower oil (adjust amount of milk to preference)
- Heat up your waffle maker (light on the top goes red when hot)
- Sprits with some fry light spray
- Add in 1 ladle of mixture to each area (aim to cover the base! Make sure you push mix into the corners to stop your waffle looking deformed)
- Close BUT DO NOT LOCK the waffle maker! This allows the deliciously light and fluffy waffles to rise
- Heat until golden brown (4 to 7 minutes)
- Microwave a handful of frozen strawberries for 1 minute
- Mash them (sophisticated word for mash please?) with a fork
- Pour on top of waffles for a deliciously sweet, sugar free compote
I give this recipe a Dr Saz rating of 9.17!!
PRETTY FREAKING HIGH
Let me know if you try it 🙂
xoxo Dr Saz